Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thrift Store

My Mother devours books and my wife loves to find bargains, so they often hit the local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. Yesterday, I got a chance to go along.
Being a gearaholic, I tend to internet shop too much, the thrift store provides a good alternative.
The thrift store is a great place to go to outfit a new camper or Scout or to find materials for DIY projects.
Cooking Gear - maybe not lightweight backpack stuff, but lots of pots, some the handles could be removed etc.
Water bottles.
Sleeping Bags and Blankets
Clothing - cargo shorts, tee shirts, all sorts of fleece sweaters, rain jackets, jeans, caps.
Duffle bags.
Great way to recycle and support a good cause.
NgmugI scored a nalgene bottle ($0.50)and a 24 oz enameled mug ($0.90) I also got a like new pair of adidas nylon wind pants for $6 - great for pulling over shorts on the trail.
We also picked up 3 or 4 brand new colored tees shirts for my son at $2.99 ea.

Tried a couscous recipe from freezer bag cooking last night - pizza in a bag
I had the ingredients on hand - turned out fine, couscous hydrates well with boiling water.

My favorite FB dinner and real popular with the Scouts is Thanksgiving on the Trail
I just use regular stovetop stuffing, chicken in a pouch, chicken gravy packet if I can't find turkey and cran raisins.

2 comments:

PS said...

AMEN to the stove-top stuffing! That is awesome on the trai. Especially with the chicken and gravy...

Are you gonna make the pizza in a bag w/ step by step pics and post here?

PS said...

I went and looked at the recipe for the pizza in a bag (check your link).
It's good??? Really?!?!? I made some couscous last night as a side. It was good!