Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Coffee system

coffeesyst1
This is the coffee system that I use, it is my version of skidsteer's (over at whiteblaze) coffee system.
Here is the video I copied from
www.jumpcut.com/view/?id=9E59816E803211D C8B3E000423CF3686
The system consists of a stove with built in pot stand, windscreen, pot (20 oz Heineken beer can), fuel bottle, which all fits into the container pictured.
What I used was a medium (32oz) twistlock ziplock container for the base

coffeesyst2

and an 8oz snap lid ziplock "bowl" container for the top/coffee basket, I used a soldering iron to make the holes. the number of holes determines how fast the water will travel through the grounds and thus how strong your coffee is, start with fewer and test, it is easy to think you want a bunch, but stronger is better in my cup.

coffeesyst3

the twist lid from the 4 cup container cut out for bowl to fit. razor knife or scissors works fine

coffeesyst4
once the twist lid is cut out, the bowl can just rest on top of it or under

coffeesyst6

I use the #2 Melita filters
coffeesyst5

coffee in the filter sitting in the 80z ziplock bowl
coffeesyst8

Stove is blackfly2 from minibull design
www.minibulldesign.com/fs2.htm
the pour from the heine pot
coffeesyst9

coffee going in
you cant see it be these containers are graduated in 1 cup increments, you could add 1/4 and 1/2 with sharpie etc,
coffeesys11

Because I often make coffee for two or three, I can run another heine pot of water and add through the same grounds.I also hold my freezer bag meals in the container so I made a cozy to fit over the whole system. this can be used with just the hot heine pot or keep coffee warm in the container.
coffeesyst14

the 'cozy is made of reflextix insulation material available at Lowes etc.
The body of this stove fits under the heine pot and then there is room for a small fuel bottle (not pictured) inside.
coffeesyst12

5 comments:

PS said...

Mac,
Thanks for the coffee system idea! I made one myself. It works great. You are right about the numbers of holes and the coffee's strength! I started with the same number as yours in the picture... I made another one with only 5 holes. I liked it better.

I also put a link on my blog to your site. Us old-timer, lite-weight (gear), coffee drinking, Believing, treehangers got to hang together!

Anonymous said...

Love the coffee maker!

Jeremiah said...

Hey Mac,

A couple of questions about this coffee system.

1. How much does the container weigh?
2. Does the top screw on or snap on? Basically does it stay closed?

I was wanting to get something like this for my system as well, but couldnt find the same container that he used on the video. I didnt have time to rig something up like you did. But it seems like it would be much lighter that what I have, plus I could make some coffee for my hiking buds.

Thanks,
Shepherd

Mac said...

Shepperd

The two containers and the blue twist lock weigh 2 oz.
it screws together, like a quarter turn twist to lock.
Let me know PS or I could send one up the trail.

Blessings
Mac

Jeremiah said...

Hey Mac!

Wow! 2 oz! That is much less than the current container I keep my Heini pot and alcohol stove in! And it is multipurpose!

If it isnt too much trouble, that would be AWESOME if you could send one ahead. I dont know how long it takes to make, but I was thinking maybe Waynesboro, VA post office. Their zip code is 22980.

Just address it to Jeremiah Redden, c/o general delivery, city, state, zipcode and the notation...Hold for AT Hiker. Followed by expected arrival date on the package...which will be 4/28.

If that isnt enough time let me know, and maybe we could do Harpers Ferry. Oh, in case you need to know, you can make the coffee holes the same as you would make them in your system. My grandpa always said strong coffee helps you grow chest hairs! lol.

Thanks again! I really appreciate this!

God bless,
Shepherd