Saturday, March 29, 2008

Geocaching

PS, asked about the pizza in a bag. The couscous was good and I will use it in other recipes. As for as it being Pizza, well um er...I make a pretty mean pizza in a dutch oven, but thats another story.,,,

Was out chasing treasure today!
Geocaching is one of my favorite ways to get out and get moving. I happened upon an article in USA today about this pass time several years ago and immediately got hooked. This satisfies the geek gear and outdoor all at the same time. Picture this:
folks take a container - ammo can, tupperware, peanut butter jar (micros as small as 35mm film can), maybe wrap some camo duct tape around it ( you do have camo duct tape right??) and hide it somewhere - usually in a park, along a bike path, on top of a mountain.

Now in this container they put treasure (often toys or geo coins etc,). Now other folks (you and me) take a handheld gps unit and drive as close as we can and then hike to the location and start searching (gps is good, but there are limitations) usually the geocache is within 30 feet (average) of where my unit says zero. You open the cache and take out something and you bring along something to replace it with. (you trade treasure trinkets etc.)

Inside the cache there is usually a log, where you write when you were there what you took and left. Sometimes there is a disposable camera to shoot who you are and leave that too. Its fun to see how long it has been since someone visited the cache, once in a while you realize that you passed the last cacher on the way in.

Then you log your find back at Geocaching.com the website keeps track of your finds and show nearby caches by zipcode, you can map them and plan a hunt on your next business trip or family vacation. It is a free service
Anyway the hunts range from super easy drive bys to bushwhacking and bolder scrambling,

GEEK FUN!


----------------
Now playing: R. Carlos Nakai - Song for the Morning Star
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

PS said...

I've never geocached... Have thought about it, but just haven't. I need to check it out.
What kind of GPS unit do you have?

I have the Garmin etrex Legend Cx. (it takes an sd card). And I have the Garmin 24K national parks maps. It has the whole AT...

I have a love/hate relationship. It does a bad job as a trip calculator. Just not that accurate. I do love it becuase I can fire it up and see just where the heck I am!

Mac said...

I have an old Garmin Deluxe 5
The etrex is probably a whole lot more portable.

Roger the love/hate, I have been on some real goose chases following the box expecially in deep forest cover, winding mt roads etc.

I have also spent hours trying to find Geocaches. There is one at Vogel that we never found. But the hike...the overlook, fantanstic

Jeremiah said...

Hey Mac,

Geocaching sounds fun! Wonder if there are some on the AT! I dont have a GPS monitor though...to heavy and expensive I think. Will have to check it out after the hike! Will add your blog to my list of favorites to check while on the trail! God bless,

Shepherd.

Mac said...

Jeremiah,
Thanks for stopping by, added your blog to list on mine.
Pretty sure there are caches along the trail.
Keep Safe out there.
God Bless