Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Compact Wood Burning Stove

I really like alcohol stoves, I was first introduced to them at a Boy Scout training Pow Wow several years ago. I now have quite a few, I have made a few and purchased several online (probably a future post to cover them all).

Lately there has been some discussion on the forums about wood burning stoves for backpack cooking. I looked at some of the designs, one of the the more popular - Bush Buddy was out of my budget, but looks great.

I took a wait and see approach as there are some wood gas designs in works. Recent discussions on Hammock Forums about the Compact Wood Burning Stove (CWS) and a Utube review by Jason Klass reignited interest and the gearaholic decided had to check it out and make one.

J. Falk provides instructions for the original one piece stove on his site and instructions for the CWS for a small donation (part to American Diabetes Association.) here.
As this is for a good cause, I won't discuss the construction steps.

Materials are readily available and the construction is very straight forward. Mine is not perfect or beautiful, but works just fine.

Here it is prior to fire up...
CWS_11

I grabbed a couple handfuls of twigs from the yard
CWS_13

I put the can base on the bbq grill for deck test and added a Vaseline impregnated cotton ball
CWS_12

Added some of the sticks and sparked the cotton with a blastmatch
CWS_14

I was playing around with taking pictures and (don't tell anyone) let the thing go out. Another cotton starter and use of a stoking tube [I had some surgical tubing from HDepot for a future tarp guy project, so just added a brass fitting for the hot end] and quickly had the little stove in blast furnace mode. Quite efficient method. Falk discusses using a fish bait air pump for this purpose, may have to play with that later.

CWS_24

CWS_20

Once the flames got going,
CWS_15

I added a pot.
CWS_18

I used an old Peak 1 pot that ends up doing a lot of the dirty work around here. Falk recommends covering the bottom of the pot with foil for smut protection. This is well founded, but I ignored it just to see.
CWS_21

Amazingly, the handles of the pot stayed cool, as long as they are away from the from fuel port, the heat is focused on the pot.
CWS_23

Boil time for 16 ounces of tap water was about 10 minutes. This was pretty respectable for first test with sticks and twigs of various size and moisture content, but hey this was from my backyard not the woods. Also I was playing around taking pictures etc. I would expect with a breeze as in Jason's video and more experience that 6-7 minutes with dry wood would be average.
All that remained once the stove cooled down was a small pile of ash.
CWS_25

It is a relatively compact package with the top half fitted into the bottom. Weight is about 6.5 ounces on my scale for the base unit, if you add binder clips standoffs lids, and the stakes about 8oz - 9 to 10 if you add an alcohol stove.
CWS_27

Do expect smut, either foil on the bottom or a dedicated pot. Either way, I need to sew up a stuff sack and maybe a plastic bag inside to keep the soot contained and away from stuff in the pack
CWS_28

The smut did easily wash off, but that means more water needed and soap... the foil can be reused but I think just a dedicated pot for this stove, let it get sooted up. Definitely need a lid to keep the ash out of your food or water.

The top half of the stove can also be uses as a stand and windscreen for an alcohol stove. Two stakes and one of the can lids makes this transformation. Also some screws and binder clips provide stand-offs for more airflot. A very stable setup. I used it with my MBD atomic.
CWS_32
CWS_34

Overall - this was a fun project, minimal cost to construct. The stove provides an alternate means of cooking either as primary or backup to an alcohol or (shudders) canister stove. You do need to keep your fire going with additional twigs etc and stoke if needed, but that is fun and as some others have said on the forums "feeds you inner pyro"

So the Scouts will love it.....

More photos

3 comments:

Jeremiah said...

Hey Mac,

I met a guy on the trail, who had the Bush Buddy, and it worked great for him. If the wood was wet it caused him a bit more deal of trouble, but I still think he always was able to use it.

The smot was a big issue, and he kept it in a plastic bag to help keep it away from his stuff, but It was usually messy when cooking.

The pics were cool, glad to see your homemade one worked...and that you can convert it to burn with an alcholol stove as well. Very nice!

Jeremiah (now that i am not on the trail)

PS said...

Mac,
I've seen this stove online at Jason's. You did a real nice job with it! What are the paper fasteners for? So, do you think you'll really take it out?

I got to find some time to try out my Tinny prototype.

Hope all is well with you..

Unknown said...

I love the big stove specially because i like to cook all kind of recipe, how ever i prefer to have a reasonable place. Actually i saw a beautiful stove in a house that was published in costa rica homes for sale it was big and beautiful, i think i will go there because it catched my attention.